Who we are
Runa is changing the way people work in Latin America. The first step in that mission was to create an automated payroll product for the 17.5MM SMBs that rely on Excel. Moving forward, Runa will expand its product offering to include an ecosystem of financial services and benefits that will improve how companies operate and how employees work. With a recent valuation of $75MM, Runa is backed by Ribbit Capital, Salesforce Ventures, and Y-Combinator.
As Tech Lead, you will lead Agile, cross-functional squads to scope, design, and build scalable, performant, and secure web applications. You will code, create, and review pull requests daily. You will provide mentorship for all Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers. You will constantly partner with the Product Manager, Delivery Leads, and Quality Assurance engineers in the planning and execution of Runa’s product roadmap focused on delivering continuous value in HR and payroll software areas. You will push for best practices and good engineering standards across your team.
Who you are
You have a thorough understanding of the options and tools available for managing an application’s state and its underlying functional programming concepts. You can start a greenfield project and explain the reasons behind each technology or methodology decision based on your experience and data.
You can partner with Product Leads to plan the long-term vision for the project. You keep in sync with other engineers on your team sharing the long-term technical vision about the project.
You constantly create projects for the engineering team to improve product quality, security, and performance that have a particular impact across your team.
You are a great communicator and are active in your development community.
- Write clean, efficient, performant, and secure code to build web applications in sprint dev cycles.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity for your team.
- Proactively seeks out difficult impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions that will enable the entire team to iterate faster
- Help improve the overall experience of our product by improving the quality of the Front-end features both in your group and features that benefit other groups.
- Consistently ship large features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- You can start greenfield projects defining best practices, tooling, and standards.
- You’ll work with Product Management and other stakeholders (Backend, UX, etc.) to iterate on new features within the Runa HR products.
- Provide mentorship for all Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience (10 years)
- 8+ years of experience working as a software engineer, 3+ years as a senior engineer.
- 3+ years of experience with React, Redux, or similar state management libraries
- Ability to create clean, modern, testable, well-documented code
- English fluency, verbal and written
- Personality traits: Professional, problem solver, proactive, passionate, team player.
- Experience with Agile process, primarily Scrum
- Experience building and delivering customer-facing front-end web applications.
You’ll know this position is for you if
- You can hit the ground running within your area of expertise and are not afraid of challenges outside of it
- Thrive on collaborating with other team members and across disciplines
- You are happy to receive feedback and see it as an opportunity for reflection and improvement
- You are always learning - Whether you are learning to help your team and customer work through new concepts and technology
- You are astute, you know when to push an issue and when to let things lie
- You are friendly - you reach out to your teammates even if they aren’t on your project team
- You can work through ambiguity - you aren’t shy about asking questions to gain clarity
Why you should join Runa
- An environment with high autonomy where teams are responsible for solving customer and business problems the best way they can
- Solid and structured career leader with clear definitions of responsibilities for each title and role
- Your contribution will impact hundreds of business and thousands of users
- Recurrent performance review